How would you like being condemned to live forever?

Josian is a selfish, power-hungry magician living in the early 1500s. Little does she know that power is not always great. She longs to be the most powerful magician on Earth and she wants it to stay that way. So she turns herself immortal.

Five hundred years later, she pays the price. She's getting tired of living, and she constantly has to relocate to avoid suspicion. Not only that, but she frequently changes names, so she won't be tracked down by anyone she's ever known. She's always careful to make sure she's not leaving behind any evidence of her survival.

Then one day it hits her.

There's something else she longs for even more than power.

Love.

She wants to be in a relationship with a guy who can love her, and someone that she can be in love with. But she knows that will never happen. She knows it's not possible. If she could ever manage to love another person, how could she stand to see them pass while she keeps living?
Though she knows love is not possible for her, how can she keep living life like this alone? She can't stand one more moment with herself.

How could she stand living through eternity alone?

7.03.2008

Prologue

January 17, 1513

I looked around, observing. I needed to know every detail of this prison. I needed to know how I could escape.

I had just been captured for murder. So what? Isaac was planning on trying to take me down, so
I figured I might as well get him first. He was one of the only people left that were great magicians. That also includes me. I couldn’t stand competition, and neither could he. Too bad he’d never be around to see me as the greatest sorcerer to exist.

As of right now, there is only one person left better than me, and it would be nearly impossible to overthrow him. He was the greatest warlock in all of Grinly. The warlock Nathaniel was ancient, but that only gave him more knowledge. He knew how to handle magic, and how to handle it well.

The prison was in Nathaniel’s castle, in the dungeon. If only I could escape. If only I could get my hands on Nathaniel’s magic book. If only…

My thoughts were disturbed as I was thrown into a dirty cell.

“I’m watchin’ you,” the guard spat at me. “Dirty, no good girl.”

“I’m not a girl,” I spat back. “I’m practically a woman. I’m seventeen as of just the other week.”

“Well, you’re still a while away from a woman, now aren’t you?” he sneered at me.

“And how old might you be, guard?” I asked him.

“That’s none of your business!” he shouted. “And I have a name.”

“Well, you certainly haven’t told me yet.”

“Well that’s not your business either, I suppose.” He said thoughtfully.

“No, I suppose it’s not. My name’s Josian. That’s probably your business, though.”

“That’s not a very likely name for a murderer.” He commented.

“I didn’t exactly pick the name myself,” I scowled.

I sat back in the corner on a pile of hay. This cell was absolutely filthy. There were spiders all over the walls, and you could hardly see the floor through all the dirt from captives walking in and out with their muddy shoes on.

I thought about my escape. It would be easy to cast a sleeping charm on the guard, but it would be another problem to try to get the cell key out of his belt loop. I could try a levitation spell on the guard and make him come to me, but he was so heavy. I’ll need to save up my energy, meaning no spells or charms until I had gotten a full night’s sleep. That would be difficult. I don’t often go a day without some sort of magic.

Well, then what? If I could get out of the cell, what would I do next? Just run up the stairs? No. I’d have to come up with some sort of distraction, but what? I could call my dragon, another thing that separated me from most magicians. But that would take lots of energy too. Fantastic. I need two night’s rest. Then I’d sneak up to the warlock’s room using an invisibility charm. However, that would not fool the warlock. He’d see right through my silly charm. I would need a way to get him out of his room. I’ll need to find his weakness. But if I could get into Nathaniel’s room, I could hopefully get my hands on his book. Then I’d be the greatest sorcerer in not just Grinly, but all of England! Imagine the power I would have, the strength I would have! Oh, it would be wonderful! The whole country at my feet, fearing me and completing my every command!

Well, I suppose I had better start on my sleep if I wanted enough energy to be able to carry out my plan.

“Kind sir, could you please tell me what the time of day is?” I asked sweetly. The guard looked around.

“I expect it would be around late evening,” he spoke.

“Thank you, sir.” Wonderful. I was used to sleeping a little later on, but right now would do. I rested my head on the hay and slowly drifted away from the cell.

~ ξ ~

January 20, 1513

This day was the day of escape. It was fantastic timing too, seeing as they were planning on hanging me tomorrow. The thought of being hanged sent shivers down my spine.

I looked up at the guard, and noted that he was still sleeping. That was my cue to start my plan. I quickly cast the sleeping charm so he would not wake up.

“Na ti un sey ma num in sey,” I whispered so no one would hear. Then I pointed my finger at the guard and a string of light flew from it to his body. He collapsed a little, showing that he was definitely out. I cast the next spell on him.

“Levitatum re en sey me,” I spoke quickly. I pointed at him once again, and a thicker thread left my finger. It poked at his figure, and as I lifted my finger, his body lifted with it. I brought him closer so that I could grab his keys through the cell bars. When he was smashed up against the cell, I reached at his belt loop and quickly unhooked the keys. I placed him back at his seat, where he would be found unconscious. I figured I should call my dragon before I unlocked the cell so that I would not be caught escaping.

“Al in sum re Draguna en pla.” I listened intently for the wing beat of my dragon. After a few moments of silence, I heard the steady beating of the wind under his wings. I heard shouting from above, and people started running outside. I chose now to unlock the cell. As I did so, I noticed the other people in their cells calling for me to help them. But of course I wouldn’t. Why save them too when they were not strong enough to fend for themselves?

I stepped out of my cell after sliding it open. I carefully placed the key back on the guard’s belt loop, and I hurried up the stairs, glancing around to make sure that no one was there. But of course, I couldn’t expect everyone to leave their posts. There were bound to be guards all over the castle. That’s why I waited an extra day so I knew I’d have plenty of extra energy to take care of those pesky guards. I started hurrying down the hall to the next staircase. I ran up the stairs and peeked around the corner. Sure enough, there stood a guard. He was tall and muscular, sure to stop any trespassers. Except this one, I thought. I jumped out and held both of my hands up towards him.

“Na ti un sey ma num in sey!” I shouted. Bolts of light flew from my hands, hitting the guard and knocking him out cold. I strode past him with an evil look on my face.
I rounded the next corner, and the next, to find spiral stairs going to the top of a tower. Nathaniel’s tower, I assumed. Nathaniel’s room was right above me. I was so close to the book; I could feel its power beginning to lap at my skin. I started up the stairs, casting an invisibility charm on myself to surprise Nathaniel. He wouldn’t be expecting me. I watched as my hands turned hazy, then completely disappeared. Next were my dress, my hair, and the rest of me. I continued climbing until I reached a large wooden door. Thankfully I was invisible, so I could squeeze my air-like body through the crack between the door and the wall. Nathaniel was sitting in his chair, and immediately faced me as soon as he felt my presence in the room. I flicked my fingers and I became visible again.

“Ah, Josian,” he spoke in his old voice. “You’re here to see me?”

“Why, yes Nathaniel. Actually I had been hoping to stop by here for quite some time.” I spoke pleasantly.

“Josian, if there’s something you want to say, speak your thoughts now.” He looked at me kindly. Ha! He couldn’t see through me. Nathaniel looked as if he could be my great-grandfather.

“Nathaniel I wished to see you for so long. I just wished this could last a little longer.”

“Why, whatever do you mean?” He looked a little confused.

“I’m sorry. Goodbye, Nathaniel.” As I raised my hands to cast the killing curse, Nathaniel beat me to it and shouted a curse back at me.

I flew against the wall, knocking over his bookshelf. But not the one with his magic book. I stood up, my back hurting me tremendously. I pointed swiftly at my back, healing it immediately. I no longer needed to speak the words for that spell.

I was infuriated that Nathaniel was in the mood to fight. He stood up as I shouted a curse back at him, but not the killing curse. I wanted this to be painful.

“Pa ni ye nam il sey ya me!” I shouted, and he curled over in pain as the light from my hands reached him. He howled, but no one could hear. Everyone was too far away.

“Ya ni mu sha ke ram un!” I screamed louder, throwing as much force into my words as I could. His back twisted backward, and a loud cracking sound spread through the large room, echoing off the walls, combining with his scream of pain. He crumpled to the floor, no longer being able to use his legs.

Still, he managed to point his finger at me and whisper, “Se min op ke no man.”

I fell over in agony, feeling his pain. This was one of my least favorite curses. It made the person you were cursing feel your pain. It was horrific. It’s time to finish this, I thought.
Mimicking him, I lifted up my finger and whispered, “Ke ma si no ra sha men!” And Nathaniel’s eyes flashed before his whole body went limp.

That was almost too easy. I was surprised that he didn’t fight back more. I didn’t think my magic was more powerful than his would be, but maybe it was his age. He probably suffered from so much damage over the years that he couldn’t stand much more. Lucky for me.

I slowly stood up as the pain began to ease. I glanced around the room, looking for the special stand that held his book. No, not his book. My book. It was mine now. No one could take it from me.

My eyes fell on the book, right next to his large window. I walked over, loving the feel of the book’s power. I reached out to touch it, and a shock flew through my body, the power was so strong. I lifted it, feeling the weight of it in my hands and the power pulsing through my body. I flipped through it, knowing exactly what I was looking for.

I found the right page, and I knew why this book was never used for evil, as it was now. Of course I only wanted this for myself. Of course I would never use it to help anyone else. Of course I would never use it to defend the country.

I stared down at the page, reading over the words that would give me exactly what I wanted. Immortality. Once I spoke these words, I would rule the world forever! I would never have to face death!

“Re ma kuta sha manna ley ma num. Lina ret me nu mes lu! Hem la mocko lun ma she sa mey la ti! Ma hu ma she le it ke suv!”

8 comments:

AppleInHand said...

Your an amazing writer,I would love to hear more...

AppleInHand said...

yes, i loved your writing, and also mine was based on a true expeirence... you should post the first chapater. you have a good idea for a stor :D

AppleInHand said...

I love how you leave the prologue open to write more it adds suspense, i also love all of your deatail :D

Anonymous said...

I'm unsure if I already left a comment as my computer was being stupid the last time I was trying to comment,and so just in case it didn't work....

Kay, so I love the prologue! So incredibly amazing. Your description is awesome and the way you craft your words...so so great. I also love the plot summary. this story is so creative. I can't wait to read more (I still haven't checked out the first chapter, but I will). Keep writing!

Sunny D said...

Far-fetched is just me being me. I can't stand fantasy.

But there is good news!

For a fantasy story, I like it.

The main thing I was put off about was that I couldn't see your main character doing anything. I was reading it, but I couldn't imagine it.

To fix it easily, all you have to do is include a little more detail. The good thing about books is that you can write every thought you have down and you'll be congradulated on how long it is. (I'm not including the editing process in this.)

I'm sure you'll get a lot of fans on this site.

jaecy bells said...

Hmm...well...

I think that it is great writing, really! And I love the way it sort of leaves you in suspense. But, no offense, I'm not sure if your title fits, exactly..."sucks" is sort of slang, and that book is more olden times...but the writing is awesome. I really think so.


Hey, I'm a writer too...I don't have anything on my blog yet, but I will pretty soon, will you guys read them? My blog is Jc Pages, http://jc-pagez.blogspot.com.

KEEP ON WRITING!!!

pookieface :] said...

wow, great job. She sounds so evil!!! i like it!

Jordan said...

lol i will read your story when i have a chance!!! You can have Jacob i want Edward!!!!! haha!